Monday 20 February 2012

The Far Side Banks of Jordan - February 20, 2012

I first heard this song on the June Carter album Press On, on which she and Johnny Cash sing it as a duet.  At the time I was listening to the record a lot, Johnny was ill, adding to the emotional weight of the song.  I have always enjoyed singing and playing it and thought I would bring some more Cash into February as well as take the opportunity to use the piano in the lovely house in Montreal where we are fortunate to be staying.

Here's me performing the song




and here's the version from June Carter's album Press On



The Far Side Banks of Jordan

I do believe my steps are growing wearier each day,
I've got another journey on my mind.
The lures of this old world have ceased to make me want to stay
and my one regret is leaving you behind.

And if it should be his will that I am first to cross
and somehow I believe that it will be
when it comes your time to travel, likewise don't feel lost,
for I will be the first one that you see.

Chorus
I'll be waiting on the far side banks of Jordan
I'll be sitting drawing pictures in the sand
And when I see you coming I will rise up with a shout
come running through the shallow water reaching for your hand

Through this life we have toiled to earn our meagre fare
it has brought trembling hands and failing eyes
So I'll just sit here on the shore and turn my eyes away
until you come then I'll see paradise.

Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment