Wednesday 23 May 2012

Skeleton - May 23, 2012


Though I wrote this song about a year ago,  it still feels a little fresh and new, maybe because I haven't performed it live a zillion times. This version of it is recorded with Rachelle Reath on violin, Emily Goodenough on cello, and Marek Tyler on the drums. We have been rehearsing for our first show in this configuration June 9 at The Fort St. Cafe with Vancouver band Cloudsplitter.  Emily just learned the song tonight, so kudos to Emily I say.  Anyone got a name for this sweet combo? Bring it on - let the blog comments rain down.






Here we are playing the song




Skeleton - David P. Smith

The skeleton in my closet he knows how to party
down by the river amongst the debris
There we discuss alien conspiracies
trailer park lesbians, UFC
How it feels to see your reflection in a glass of whiskey

Whiskey rivers swum like public pool lengths
dreamlessly sinking in quicksand beds
Unresolved nights became resolute dawns
the angry sparrows twittered as the sun grew strong
Days begun orange, then turned to blue
with periods of brown forecast for the afternoon

Fat robins feast on freshly turned worms
starlings flit and swoop like sci-fi insect swarms
A little brown bird lies still on the street
near the passenger door to the left of my feet
Maybe, maybe, maybe he's asleep

The skeleton in my closet likes to go out on the town
likes to paint it red, he really likes to get down
Sometimes he gets so down I find him crawling around
And I say
if you piss in the carburetor, the car will stall
if you piss on the temple floor, the walls will fall
you can piss your pants, buddy it's your call
You can do what you want, I'll pick you up when you fall

The digital satellite unit casts a hideous shadow on our house
while I recline on the sofa in the costume of a louse
While on the TV, weeping women flee
the good doctor eats a live chimpanzee
and the air is alive with fleas' disease

The skeleton in my closet pulls me aside
he says 
brother got a minute, I need to confide
you see, my dreams all cower like scared cats in the rain
and I don't mind feeling numb, it means I don't feel pain
but it scares me being numb, in case I don't feel again

It was a sad good-bye to the jugglers and clowns
went working for the man in a jackhammer town
Now I have a daughter and I have a wife
and this is the foundation on which I build my life

The skeleton in my closet says he's feeling tired
says it's hard to care, says he feels uninspired
And I say
put your pants on one leg at a time
open the curtains and let the sun shine
every minute in the world a hundred ten people are dying
Sing a song, stop crying
Sing a song, stop crying
you 





No comments:

Post a Comment