Tuesday 26 June 2012

Your Window - Great Aunt Ida cover - June 25, 2012

So it looks like A Song A Week  might need to be renamed to A Song Whenever I Get To It.  I have my reasons/ excuses....

1. The Company - Kingfisher Painting Services, it's our busiest time of year.  When I started the blog it was our slowest part of the year.



2. The Dog - Dinah, the blue-eyed she-devil.  This dog walking business eats up your free time!


3.  Euro 2012 - a Man must have his footy.


Ida Nilsen was a force on the Vancouver music scene for many years before relocating to Toronto.  One of those musically intelligent multi-instrumentalists who is capable of bringing something unique and critical to every project she gets involved with.  I knew her best through The Sugar Refinery, that magical venue of lore, where one of my fondest memories involved me clumsily  banging out a boozy Blue Christmas on the notoriously out of tune piano, Ida behind me, whisky-soaked clouds emanating from the bell of her drunken trumpet, while a rare heavy and silent snow fell on Vancouver.


Your Window, the opening track from her most recent Great Aunt Ida album Nuclearize Me,  is insanely catchy, infused with an internalized melancholy, and is lyrically clever.  "I see trouble looking through your window" she sings at the end of the first stanza, while the last verse ends with "I think of all the things I saw through your window."  Hmmmmm...what does it all mean?  Send Ida a message and find out. And while you're at it check out the Great Aunt Ida album I originally got obsessed with How They Fly - Great Aunt Ida

Okay, here's my version of the song




Here's a live version of Ida doing it


Your Window - Ida Nilsen

Lover where's your smile
I haven't seen it in a while
what's made you so blue
I see trouble looking through
your window

Lover I'm not scared
I have got myself prepared
I've been watching you so long
I know every break-up song
I am listening

Did you say your heart's gone
do you think that it will come back
I'll take you to the airport
put you on a fast track

Then I'll go walk around
rain is different in this town
falls on faces I won't meet
crossing every major street
I can think of

Did you say your heart's gone
do you think that it might be here
have you looked in all the places
you've been to for the last year

Then I'll go walk around
fill the emptiness with sound
watch the streetlamps turning on
think of all the things I saw 
through your window

2 comments:

  1. alright, ida this ida that, I bet ida's sweatin her balls off in T.O. give me some good ol' fashioned punk rock like.......rawhide by the dk"s can you handle that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmmmm,not sure I can handle that one. But I better handle something soon, the weeks are ticking by.

      Delete