Tuesday 4 December 2012

Booze Party - December 4, 2012

Actually recorded this a week and a half ago, but haven't got around to putting it up.  Booze Party was a song I first heard through my friend and obsessive music and film collector Gary Field.  It was on a compilation of obscure rockabilly and rhythm'n'blues called Sin Alley and was performed by a combo called Three Jokers and An Ace.  I vowed to learn the song and learn it I did, performing a trashy take on it for a couple of years during my solo accordion period, before recording a pretty fucked up version of it with Mansmell for the album Hurtin' Dance Party.  It was a staple of our live set for many years, half the fun being the chaotic and discordant free noise and screaming at the end of the song.  I don't have a link to it at the moment, but I'll see what I can do....in the meantime, how about a little listen to Three Jokers and An Ace?

 


So after doing a crazed, balls-out version of Booze Party for years, I started to have this hankering to do what in my mind I started to call "The Legion Mix"....you know, a take on this psycho-billy song that you could slip into the middle of your cover band's set when you're playing at the church fundraiser or whatever.  So here's me with Booze Party 2012, The Legion Mix. There's some wicked mic distortion in the middle of the song, but this was the best take.




Crazed Ballz Out Version


And here's a totally different kind of Booze Party





1 comment: