Sunday 11 March 2012

Weary Blues From Waitin' - Hank Williams - March 11, 2012


I went into a red wine frenzy Friday night, compulsively  throwing back glass after glass. I blame it on Betty-Ann and Rachelle...it was their good company and lively conversation that fueled me. My pennance Saturday: assembling furniture from the Brick for my mother-in-law, with a Depression-era fruit of the vine hangover.  I know how to have a good time on the weekend.  On the plus side....whilst in the height of red wine fever I decisively made up my mind it was time for some hardcore country on ye olde blog, and this classic Hank Williams song popped into my head.  I first heard it on a record I got in the '80's called The Collector's Hank Williams, Volume 1.  Art student, the '80's, I suppose I should have been listening to Joy Division and The Psychedelic Furs, but what the hell. I also had/have pre-recorded cassettes of Volumes 2 and 4.  They were an interesting blend of songs, stuff you wouldn't hear on your standard greatest hits collections, some Luke the Drifter material, and some raw demos.  Pretty sure there's an early Dogbreath Brothers recording of this gem too.....somewhere. 












Anyway here's a link to me performing Weary Blues From Waitin'







and here's a link to a pretty sweet version by the great Wanda Jackson

and, well, Hank himself





No comments:

Post a Comment