Monday 9 April 2012

The Decline of Mankind - New Song, Live from the Ptarmagin Inn with Bubba Cook


Out on tour this week - The Death Ballad Love Tellers Tour, that is - with Ben Sures http://www.bensures.com/    and Troy “Bubba” Cook www.bigbubbacook.com    Tour or not, the blog must soldier on.  Sunday night we stopped in Banff, and while Ben - Little Charlie Trouble that is – was out laying down the blues with Harpdog Brown at Wild Bill’s, Troy and I set up in our room at The Ptarmigan Inn,  consumed only the most sensible amounts of  Wild Turkey, learned this new song I penned a couple of weeks ago, and laid it down.  What’s this song about?  Why don’t you write me and tell me....or ask me.  We’ll have a conversation about it.


Here we are performing the song, little audio crap going on, but hey this is a field recording, don't you know.







The Decline of Mankind

In a dream I walk the streets
of a city that always sleeps
Buildings tumble from the sky
 and flames shoot from my feet
I got a bluebird on my shoulder
lucky rabbit on my head
the bluebird is of Chinese descent
and the rabbit has long been dead
Night falls, crawls to the river
Day softly breaks
and this crazy, lazy city never ever wakes

The pharmacists insist
that sleeping pills will cure my ills
but don’t they know about the predator, the reaper
and the night time creeper
and robots who patrol the sky
with eyes of fire
and don’t they know that when I sleep
the trees whisper and conspire
This city where night is abundant
where arriving is redundant
Because when you get here, you’re already there
and when you get there, you’re already here.

Crumbled on the couch
with a bottle of wine
I fastidiously monitor
the decline of mankind
And I’m the kind of man
who tried to be good
And if I have failed
I hope that’s understood
In my backyard, I dug up a bone
I use it now to touch my phone
The birds, the trees, the digital feed
I never knew life could be so good to me

And well, what is this Death Ballad Love Teller's Tour all about you may ask.  This is what the press is saying....

Listen, this ain't three sensitive dudes with acoustic guitars. From Ben Sures beautifully crafted, insanely clever songs to Bubba Cook's bizarre tales of zombiesin the snow, midgets, aliens, and Richard Speck to David P. Smith's raw, literate, accordion driven reconstruction of country and blues, you will not be bored. You will not have a moment to check your fucking phone for texts or tweet some bullshit to some loser who isn't there taking in this awesome show.

I am willing to personally guarantee that you will find this show highly entertaining.  Following is a link to the Victoria Facebook Event page.  Tonight we're in Lethbridge at The NAAG, Tuesday the 10th a house show in Fernie, Wednesday the 11th the Penticton Art Gallery in Penticton, Thursday the 12th at Chapel Arts in Vancouver, Saturday the 14th in Victoria at Discovery Coffee James Bay, and Sunday the 15th at Arbutus Music in Nanaimo.


1 comment: