Tuesday 1 May 2012

Whiskey, You Are Not My Brother - New Song - May 1, 2012

Remember that post about a month ago before we played with Black Valley Gospel at Crace Mountain?
Whether you do or don't, the night of that show David Chenery proposed a collaboration of a sorts between us.  He wants to record some of my older material and give it the f*@!#!?! Black Valley treatment!  I was both honoured and excited about the proposal.  Initial song ideas include some Dogbreath Brothers tunes - Stay Away With The Whiskey, Look In Your Heart, and Bent, Broke, Busted 'n' Blue - plus Last Trip To Vancouver from the Eelgirl EP and a heavy version of the instrumental Jackass Path from the Hurtin' Dance Party album possibly with a spoken word piece.  Crazy shit!

I started working on a song this week and it seemed like maybe it could fit this project.    I've keyed it so Chenery could easily do manic vocals an octave above what I'm doing.  This is really a sketch of the song. We'll run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.


Check out the video - my head looks like a sock puppet




******Stardate January 13, 2016:  the collaboration with Chenery did not come to fruition.  However, I did a minor tweak on the lyrics, a major tweak on the arrangement and feel, and went on to record the song with Mike Hall in a combo with drums (Marek Tyler), cello (Hank Pine). Live off the floor don't you know, to fabulous 1/4" reel to reel.  Stay tuned....I'll post it soon!

Whiskey, You Are Not My Brother

Whiskey, you are not my brother
do not stand so near
take your hand from my shoulder
do not whisper in my ear

There is a place
where black is dark
dark, dark blue
where you are misshapen and made obese
by all that does not fill you

Whiskey, you are not my brother
do not stand so near
take your hand from my shoulder
do not whisper in my ear

There is a place
where the river is deep
deep, deep green
the waters are opaque, they are viscous
they appear to be serene


Whiskey, you are not my brother
do not stand so near
take your hand from my shoulder
do not whisper in my ear





No comments:

Post a Comment