Sunday 31 January 2016

Song A Week 2016 - Seasons (Future Islands Cover) - January 30, 2016

In the fall of 2014 I became obsessed with this song by the band Future Islands and in particular with this version of the song on the David Letterman show.  Not only is the performance riveting, Letterman's reaction is worth the watch

Summer 2015 I just wanted to learn to play it myself.  With some assistance from my musically-smarter-than-me daughter Chloe, I worked up a version on the accordion and quickly became obsessed with playing it. It is a really beautiful pop song.  We're working up a version with my band The Ape Shit Army that we'll be playing at our upcoming shows in February. 

Here is a version of the song I recorded on my phone one night in December. 

 The official video for the song is little bizarre.  Cowboys, rodeos, couples on horses, pickup trucks....I almost suspect it is a deconstructive anti-video.......comments?


Seasons

Seasons change
and I tried hard just to soften you
seasons change
I grew tired of trying to change for you
And I've been waiting on you
I've been waiting on you
I've been waiting on you
I've been waiting on you

When it breaks
the summer will wake
and the winter will wash away the tears
When it breaks
the summer will warm
and the winter will crave what is gone
crave what is all gone away

People change
but some people never do
and when people change
they gain a peace but they lose one too
And I've been waiting on you
I've been waiting on you
 I've been waiting on you
I've been waiting on you

****Stardate Feb 1/2016:  finding lyrics on the Future Islands website today I see that where I sing "...wash away the tears...." the actual lyric is ".....wash away the taste...."   

And here's the gig posters for our upcoming shows in Nanaimo, Powell River, Victoria, and Vancouver.








.

4 comments:

  1. i love the song, heard/saw it first on letterman, great stuff. i don't watch a lot of videos and hardly any movies but i don't find the video bizarre or decon. though it does seem a somewhat weak video as they go: some aptness, some inaptness, ultimately saying more about the vid director than the song

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and i remain enthralled by Samuel T. Herring's stage presence

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur....I think people forgot what it was like to see a performer/musician genuinely emotionally engaged with the material and performance. A reason to obsess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and he's a rapper.
    http://pitchfork.com/news/60418-future-islands-sam-herring-teams-with-madlib-for-rap-project-trouble-knows-me-shares-track/

    ReplyDelete