Monday 22 February 2016

Song A Week 2016 - The Drunken Fool - February 22, 2016


Here's a little hillbilly number I wrote some time back that doesn't see the light of day too much.

The Drunken Fool
words and music by David P. Smith

Outside my bedroom window
there's an old old weeping willow
while I sleep he steals my dreams
and spills them on my pillow
When I wake in the morning
with my emptied out old head
it takes me an hour or two
to figure out I ain't dead

Now my heart likes to bellow
from inside his bloody cave
I pay no attention
I know not what he craves
I just get up in the morning
watch clocks go round and round
while I walk around in circles
in this two bit tinkle town

I got no stories to tell
just episodes and incidents
an odd twist of fate an outburst
an empty coincidence

And I got no songs to sing
was never good with dirty jokes
when it comes to witty repartee
I don't have a hope
I'm irritated and quickly bored
by the monkeys and the mules
but if you ply me with your whiskey
I'll play the drunken fool

No comments:

Post a Comment